Simpson Grierson's aviation specialists work with airlines, airport owners and investors, suppliers, and the Aviation Security Service. We believe the sectors - aviation and airports - are closely inter-related.
We advise on all aspects of aviation law, airport development/expansion, and airport security control. We work closely with other specialist practice areas, including employment, taxation, commercial litigation and banking and finance. Our experience ensures that we deliver a full service across all of the relevant specialties.
We advise major participants in the New Zealand aviation sector. Most particularly we are the New Zealand adviser to Pacific Blue (the international and New Zealand operation of Virgin Blue Airlines). We have advised Pacific Blue from before its establishment in New Zealand and continue to advise it in all matters today.
We have also advised many other airlines. These include Air Canada, American Airlines, Lan Chile, Continental Airlines, Freedom Airlines (in its establishment and initial operation), Garuda Indonesia, SAS (Scandinavian Airline), Thai Airways and United Airlines. Issues include establishment of on-line operations, international air traffic agreements, deregulation, mergers and alliances, operator and airport liability, aircraft registration, regulation and operation, aircraft financing, leasing and charter, and wholesale, retail and direct sales.
We offer expertise to providers in the aviation sector and in local regulatory issues, prosecutions and licensing matters, including air accident investigations, aircraft certification and coroner's inquests.
- Pacific Blue - all New Zealand issues requiring external advisers including aircraft leasing, liquor licensing, and crewing
- Eurocopter International Pacific (NZ) - holding and release of escrow deposits for new aircraft sold into New Zealand
- Dubai Aerospace Enterprise (DAE) - agreement to lease two Boeing B777-319ER aircraft to Air New Zealand
- Christchurch International Airport - $200 million terminal expansion project
- Auckland International Airport - telecommunications network issues, including access arrangements and cell site licensing
- Auckland International Airport - international terminal development
- Aviation Security Service - airport security control measures