Stephen is head of the firm's corporate and commercial department and a member of the firm's board of management.
He advises corporations and crown entities on all aspects of corporate governance, statutory compliance, companies law, mergers and acquisitions, overseas investment in New Zealand, and related issues. He regularly works with many of the firm's clients on strategic issues and business development initiatives.
Stephen also has more than 20 years' experience establishing, managing, amalgamating, and winding up life and general insurance companies, superannuation schemes, KiwiSaver schemes, and other investment vehicles.
Examples of Work
- Haier Group Corporation - takeover and subsequent compulsory acquisition of all of the shares (not already owned by Haier) in NZX and ASX listed Fisher & Paykel Appliances for approximately $750 million
- Genuine Parts Company - New Zealand aspects of the US$150 million acquisition of a 30% interest in Exego Group (owner of the Repco chain)
- Beetil - sale of Wellington IT company to NASDAQ-listed Citrix Systems Inc
- MAp Airports International independent board committee - chaired committee when it considered and implemented the internalisation of the management of its airport business investments
- Aptimize - sale of Wellington IT company to NASDAQ-listed Riverbed Technologies
- New Zealand Community Trust - acquisition of a number of gaming trusts
- Dispute Resolution Services - establishment of Financial Dispute Resolution as the reserve scheme for the financial service providers regime
- New Zealand division of Thomson Reuters - worldwide divestiture of Thomson Learning
- The Crown - advising a government department on its insurance claims after the Christchurch earthquakes
- The Crown - establishment of Quotable Value and AgriQuality
- The Crown - sale of its central North Island geothermal assets to Mighty River Power
- NZRU - successful pitch to host Rugby World Cup 2011
- Solicitor, England and Wales
- ASX-listed Sydney Airport Holdings - Independent director. Chair of nomination and renumeration committee of MAp Airports International
- Sovereign Assurance Company - Independent director
- Life Flight Trust - Trustee
- New Zealand Law Society - Member, Commercial and Business Law Committee
- New Zealand Rugby Union - Appeal council member
- Institute of Directors - Member