Carl is a senior associate in the firm's employment law group. He provides strategic advice on all aspects of employment law, including corporate restructures, sales and purchases of businesses, personal grievances, employment agreements and policies, health and safety, human rights and privacy, accident compensation, and collective bargaining.
Carl regularly attends mediations on behalf of employers and has appeared before the Employment Relations Authority, Employment Court and Court of Appeal. His work experience, at the Accident Compensation Corporation (ACC) and Human Rights Commission, gives Carl a broad understanding of ACC issues affecting employers and compliance issues with legislation, such as the Human Rights Act and Privacy Act.
Examples of Work
- Canam Interiors - lead counsel in in successfully defending personal grievance proceedings
- Oracle - lead counsel in successfully defending interim reinstatement proceedings
- North Shore City Council - lead counsel in defending proceedings involving aiding and abetting breaches of an employment agreement
- Fletcher Steel - lead counsel in defending personal grievance proceedings involving stress, disadvantage and unjustified dismissal issues
- CanTeen - lead counsel in successfully defending interim reinstatement proceedings
- Auckland City Council – junior counsel in the leading case before the full Court of the Employment Court on good faith/consultation issues under the Employment Relations Act
- Colmar Brunton - junior counsel in successfully defending injunction proceedings in the Employment Court over restraint of trade, breach of contract/confidentiality and fidelity issues
- Human Resources Institute of New Zealand (HRINZ) - Member
- Employment Today, New Zealand Herald and National Business Review articles - Contributor
- National employment law conferences - Speaker