Dave is a partner in the firm's commercial group. He has a particular focus on energy and resources, with extensive experience in oil and gas (upstream and downstream), coal, electricity (generation, transmission and supply), alternative energy sources, and climate change. His other main practice area is mergers and acquisitions.
Dave also has considerable "in-house" experience, as General Counsel for Solid Energy New Zealand and General Manager, Legal & Risk for the New Zealand Racing Board/TAB. This experience has shaped Dave's client approach, giving him valuable insight into business drivers and the role that legal advice has to play.
- Chambers Global Energy & Natural Resources 2013 - Leading Lawyer
- The International Who's Who Legal Oil and Gas 2010 - Leading Lawyer
Examples of Work
- Department of Corrections - contract management of Mt Eden Corrections Facility
- BP Oil New Zealand - sale of the South-West Pacific fuels business (comprising operations in seven Pacific islands)
- OMV New Zealand - New Zealand oil and gas portfolio, including development of the Pohokura field, the sale of Pohokura gas, renegotiation of the Maui field arrangements, and general joint venture issues
- Cargill - investment in the Spring Creek mining venture, including acquisition, shareholder, operating, transport, and sale contracts
- BP Oil New Zealand - establishment of the "Fuel Dockets" scheme with Foodstuffs and establishment of the Pak'n Save Fuels arrangements
- Transpower - system operation issues arrangements (including negotiation of the long-term system operator contract with the Electricity Commission) and application of Electricity Governance Rules to business operations
- The Crown - sale of its central North Island geothermal assets to Mighty River Power
- New Zealand Oil and Gas - oil and gas portfolio including Kupe development and gas sales matters, Tui exploration, and other exploration prospects
- Various corporate acquisitions and dispositions - BP Oil New Zealand (sale of industrial lubricants business), Tui/Preussag (sale of New Zealand oil and gas assets to OMV), Unison (acquisition of electricity lines business from United Networks), State Grid Corporation of China (proposed acquisition of Wellington electricity lines business), AXA (acquisition of the Sterling Grace Group and disposition of health insurance and trustee services business), BG Group (proposed acquisition of Origin - New Zealand assets), Royal & Sun Alliance (acquisition of AMP's general insurance portfolio), and EMS (sale of metering business to NGC)