David is a special counsel in the firm's resources and infrastructure group. He has over 35 years experience in central government and private practice.
His experience includes law drafting here and overseas, submissions to Select Committees and Government, general governance advice, and specific interests in transport, fisheries, primary industries, local government corporate activities, superannuation and other trusts, and retirement villages.
Examples of Work
- Drafting private legislation to provide for specific bank mergers, corporate restructuring and demutualisations, and drafting and commenting on Government legislation proposals including Marine and Coastal Areas and Dairy Industry Restructuring
- Drafting legislation for Fiji, Vanuatu, Kiribati and Samoa; and advising on SOE reforms and sales
- Te Ohu Kaimoana - drafting legislation and creation of new entities to hold and distribute over $750 million of Maori Fisheries Settlement assets
- NZ Transport Agency - since the creation of Transit in 1989, advised on governance; and funding and procurement for major projects including toll roads and funding of local government for roads and public transport
- ACC - New Zealand reforms and a possible motor vehicle scheme for Malaysia
- Superannuation - advice on restructuring of NPF, and many corporate schemes including two that went to the Privy Council
- Local authorities - advising on their relationships with CCOs and their governance, commercial, and investment issues
- Retirement Villages - advised on legislation and Code of Practice
- Legislation Advisory Committee - Member
- Commonwealth Association of Legislative Counsel - Member
- NZ Law Society Law Reform Committee - Member
- Institute of Directors - Member