Banking & Finance
We have decades of knowledge and experience when it comes to the intricacies of the banking and finance sector.
Simpson Grierson works with major banks, key participants in the financial services sector, listed companies, central and local government bodies, and large receivership practices.
Each of our banking and finance lawyers has particular areas of specialisation. This means that we offer expert legal advice that is directly matched to our clients' specific needs.
We offer practical and specialist advice in:
- lending transactions, including business, trade, acquisition, project, property, and asset financing
- financial restructuring and insolvency, including complex debt restructurings, corporate collapses, receiverships, liquidations, and cross-border insolvencies
- debt and hybrid securities
- structured finance (banking, finance, tax, and capital markets all in one)
- regulation and compliance.
We also have New Zealand's pre-eminent local government funding practice.
Our banking and finance lawyers work closely with our corporate, litigation and tax specialists to advise on significant transactions and issues for the sector.
Examples of our work
- Harmoney, New Zealand's first licensed peer-to-peer lending service - advising on its establishment and ongoing operations, including regulatory issues
- Westpac - partial demerger of the institutional banking business of Westpac Banking Corporation’s New Zealand branch, involving the transfer of $6.2 billion customer loans and $5.8 billion customer deposits to Westpac New Zealand
- Auckland Council - $4 billion retail bond programme
- Coca-Cola Amatil (NZ) - United States private placement, wholesale issue of medium-term notes (MTNs), and participation as issuer in the Australian group’s US$2 billion euro-MTN programme
- Westpac - $600 million syndicated facility to finance Fulton Hogan’s share buy-back and expansion into Australia
- Hoyts group - syndicated refinancing of its debt out of the Term Loan B market in the United States
- Tuaropaki geothermal power plant - $100 million project financing
- Wellington Gateway Partnership (the successful consortium) - New Zealand legal adviser on the Transmission Gully State Highway Project, a $1 billion public private partnership to develop a new highway north of Wellington
For more examples of our work, please see our detailed expertise pages.