In the digital age, protection and enforcement of copyright works is core to the success of many businesses. With what is widely regarded as New Zealand's leading copyright team, our experts regularly provide strategic and enforcement advice to some of the world's leading multi-nationals.
Copyright strategy is core to every stage of business. Our team prides itself on providing commercial, strategic advice throughout - from strategies for protection and commercialisation through to enforcement. Our team has particular experience in copyright policy and lobbying. As well as providing advice to the Select Committee to Parliament on the implementation of digital copyright amendments, Simpson Grierson regularly advises businesses in relation to the implications of copyright reform.
We are regularly involved in copyright licensing, particularly within the IT, music, and new technologies sectors. Our depth of expertise in copyright has also meant that Simpson Grierson is regularly chosen for the most complex copyright disputes.
Examples of our work
- Lucas Mill - ongoing patent and copyright dispute with former manufacturer
- Seven Network - copyright and contract dispute about images in magazines imported into New Zealand
- Bunnings - successful defence of copyright, moral rights and trade mark infringement proceedings by Mitre 10 in relation to comparative advertisements
- Specialized Bicycles - Court of Appeal litigation relating to infringement of bicycle designs
- Google - advising in relation to the copyright aspects of the launch and use of core platform technologies
- Sony Music - advising in relation to the enforcement and licensing of music repertoire
- Advising the Select Committee to Parliament on proposed digital amendments to copyright legislation
- Te Kete Ipurangi - drafting Copyright Policy for New Zealand Secondary Schools
- Lexis Nexis Copyright and Design in New Zealand - Co-author