New Zealand has the highest per capita rate of franchising in the world. Franchising is a common method of business expansion for many New Zealand businesses operating overseas and international businesses entering the New Zealand market.
We have a leading franchising practice and considerable experience in representing and partnering with both international and local franchisors.
The rapid uptake of franchising as a business model belies its complexity. Franchising involves a unique interaction of business laws and, in some cases, franchise specific regulations which vary from country to country. This demands excellence in legal advice across a range of areas including corporate structuring, tax, commercial contracts, and intellectual property. Our integrated approach to franchise transactions means we can deliver this excellence.
The special nature of the relationship between franchisor and franchisee also demands a tailored approach to contract formation, contract management, and dispute resolution. We have proven expertise in managing all aspects of the franchise relationship.
Simpson Grierson is an active member of the Franchise Association of New Zealand.
Examples of our work
- McLarens Young International - New Zealand master franchise arrangements
- Pumpkin Patch - international retail franchise and distribution arrangements
- RE/MAX - the structure of its New Zealand franchise operations and contractual arrangements with franchisees
- BedsRUs - the structure of its New Zealand and Australian franchise operations and contractual arrangements with franchisees
- DB Breweries - various theme bar arrangements in New Zealand including Monteith's theme bars
- PlaceMakers - the establishment of its joint venture and franchise model for New Zealand