Health & Safety
The new regime for health and safety in New Zealand creates challenges for all organisations. Our team has a full understanding of the new Health and Safety at Work Act.
Our primary objectives are to help clients satisfy their obligations and ensure their workplaces are free from harm. Our specialists work with clients in many sectors, including high-risk areas such as construction, infrastructure and manufacturing. Our clients include many of New Zealand's most significant private and public sector organisations.
Integrated legal and advisory services
Simpson Grierson's health and safety team includes both lawyers and consultants. This is unique amongst New Zealand law firms and provides significant benefits to our clients.
- A unique, integrated service. No other law firm provides a complete package of health and safety advisory services and specialist legal services.
- Clear, commercial guidance. We provide practical and hands-on advice in developing health and safety strategies, systems and processes.
- An approach that builds the capability of our clients. We want our clients to be self-sufficient. Our work programmes are designed around building their capacity.
- Additional benefits of working with a law firm. As a law firm we can provide advantages non-lawyer consultants cannot. For example, we can offer legal privilege on legal advice when undertaking investigations or preparing assurance reviews.
How we help clients
We help clients develop and implement effective health and safety strategies. Our services include:
- providing boards and leadership teams with strategic advice and guidance (including independent reviews)
- developing and implementing health and safety programmes including governance, reporting and audit processes
- developing and implementing health and safety management systems
- providing leadership development, training and mentoring, including strategies for driving employee engagement in health and safety
- reviewing operational processes
- drafting commercial contracts that address health and safety in a pragmatic, comprehensive manner.
Our experts are also highly experienced in assisting employers and others in the handling of Worksafe NZ investigations, right from the time a workplace incident occurs. We can be on the ground promptly, to ensure there are people on site who can provide specialist assistance in dealing with the regulators, and often the police, from the beginning of the process and during the investigation and interview phase.
If an investigation does result in a prosecution, we have significant experience managing and defending prosecutions in the District Court and High Court.