Our patent law experts advise a number of multi-national companies in relation to patent licensing and disputes, in particular within the pharmaceutical, medical device, and animal health sectors.
As well as providing strategic advice in relation to Pharmac tender and licensing strategies, Simpson Grierson has recently advised in leading patent disputes and appeals.
Examples of our work
- Long running patent and other IP litigation in Lucas v Peterson, including application to High Court to amend patent, strike out of counterclaim for unjustified threats of patent infringement proceedings, and High Court and Court of Appeal strike out and appeals following contested settlement of the litigation
- Novartis Animal Health - acquisition of patents and other intellectual property assets from a New Zealand animal health company, and related licensing and supply arrangements
- Multi-jurisdictional patent litigation involving enforcement and validity of key patented technology relating to seed growth
- Novartis - substantial patent infringement litigation with Astra Zeneca, and intellectual property issues relating to PHARMAC arrangements
- Multi-national pharmaceutical and animal health companies including Bristol-Myers Squibb, Merck Sharp & Dohme, Novartis and Bayer - various New Zealand law issues
- University of Otago - intellectual property protection and commercialisation strategy and related contractual arrangements
- Neuren Pharmaceuticals, a leading biopharmaceutical company - initial public offering of shares in Australia and New Zealand and listing on ASX, and on various intellectual property issues