Private Equity & Venture Capital
Our private equity and venture capital group provides broad international experience and a depth of expertise, gained from working in some of the world's leading international law firms.
We have been involved in the private equity and venture capital industry in New Zealand since its inception. We have advised on many of New Zealand's most notable private equity and venture capital transactions.
Our experience includes advice on the establishment, structuring, funding, and management of private equity and venture capital funds. We advise on leveraged and management buyouts and exit strategies, including public offerings and trade sale.
Our private equity and venture capital group draws upon expert support from our wider specialist teams throughout the firm to tackle any issues that arise.
Our legal expertise is supplemented by close involvement in relevant industry initiatives and organisations. We are an active member and participant, as well as a founding sponsor, of the New Zealand Private Equity & Venture Capital Association (NZVCA).
- CHAMP Ventures - acquisition of a majority stake in Macpac and investment in TR Group
- Archer Capital - establishment of a new industry leading education business called Aspire2, formed through the acquisition of five New Zealand based private education businesses
- Winona Capital - acquisition of approximately 50% of quality New Zealand menswear manufacturer Rodd & Gunn
- Accel Partners - $132.9 million investment in Xero by private placement
- Spotless Group Holdings - New Zealand counsel to Spotless and Pacific Equity Partners on the A$992 million initial public offering and ASX listing
- Craigs Investment Partners, First NZ Capital, Forsyth Barr, and Macquarie Capital - acting on the $155 million block trade of Quadrant Private Equity's residual holding in Summerset Group
- Various financial sponsors in connection with Spotless Group, Hoyts Group, Tegel and Griffins
- Union MedTech - acquisition of Rex Bionics, a developer of robotic exoskeletons for the disabled, and UK capital raising, moving its listing from the ISDX to the London Stock Exchange's AIM market
- Burger King - advising management on Blackstone's acquisition from Anchorage
- Fulton Hogan - disposal of EnviroWaste to Ironbridge Capital
- Various buy-out funds on their respective sell-downs through initial public offerings of Pumpkin Patch and Methven
- Various buy-out funds in connection with the sales processes for Griffins, Independent Liquor, Tegel, Yellow Pages, Hirepool, Goodman Fielder and Ezi-buy
- New Zealand Venture Investment Fund - establishment of its venture capital funds, and management and co-investment arrangements for its seed capital fund