We have one of the most experienced project finance practices in New Zealand. Our experts have acted on some of the country's most complex and significant projects in recent years.
Our project finance specialists combine legal expertise, specific knowledge of project finance structures and documents, and industry experience. Many have backgrounds in the construction, commercial property, transport, water and waste-water, mining and energy, and telecommunications sectors.
Our experts can assist with:
- funding structures for development and construction projects and for infrastructure investments
- financing options for major projects including loan facilities (non-recourse and limited recourse), bond issues, and leasing
- structuring bids (including the requirements for bankability), sponsor support, regulatory issues, risk mitigation, syndication, securitisation and workouts
- public private partnerships
We call on experts in our other teams for specialist advice on any related issues, such as the organisation of project entities, tax structuring, and property and construction law aspects.
Examples of our work
- Austral Pacific - financing for oil and gas project
- Tuaropaki geothermal power plant - $100 million project financing
- Auckland's Britomart - above-ground redevelopment of the heritage precinct ($1 billion project)
- Auckland's Sky City hotel and casino complex - US$300 million project financing
- Auckland's Vector Arena - $80 million (a 12,000-seat stadium delivered on a PPP/BOOT basis)
- Queenstown's Jacks Point - 400-hectare subdivision ($1 billion development)
- Telecom (now Spark) headquarters - a $280 million four-building office complex