Sports, Venues, Events and Entertainment
We have a specialist sports, entertainment, and venues law team dedicated to providing clear and helpful advice to a range of clients operating in the sector.
The team includes specialists in:
- sports governance and the drafting of rules and regulations
- compliance and risk management
- major event bidding and the creation of special purpose vehicles for staging major events
- the exploitation of commercial rights (including the structuring and negotiation of sponsorship, broadcast/media, and licensing agreements)
- television production and host broadcast agreements
- performer, artist, and athlete endorsement arrangements
- event organisation, sponsorship and venue management
- brand management and brand protection
- sales and marketing
- gambling and gaming.
Our sports, entertainment, and venues lawyers frequently works alongside other specialist practice areas in the firm, including employment, intellectual property, sales & marketing and tax.
For more information contact partner Peter Stubbs or senior associate Ashton Welsh.
Examples of our work
- New Zealand Olympic Committee - acting across a range of matters
- Acting for numerous national sports organisations including Netball New Zealand, New Zealand Rugby League, New Zealand Cricket, New Zealand Rugby Union, Hockey New Zealand, Paralympics New Zealand, Triathlon New Zealand, Yachting New Zealand and Surfing New Zealand
- Hamilton City Council - leading the independent review on the Hamilton 400 2008 V8 Supercars
- New Zealand Rugby Union - chairing the Governance Constitution working party (2011-2012)
- Trans-Tasman Netball League (ANZ Netball Championship) - managing all legal issues since its launch in 2008
- New Zealand Rugby Union - successful bid to host the IRB Rugby World Cup 2011 in New Zealand
- America's Cup Management (32nd America's Cup) and America's Cup Event Authority (34th America's Cup) - advising on a range of matters (including the negotiation and contracting of commercial rights)
- Development of bid documentation and management of bid processes for a number of international federations and rightsholders (including the FINA, FEI, America's Cup, and Volvo Ocean Race)
- Heart Foundation, RNZSPCA, and Child Cancer Foundation - sponsorship advice and reviews for brands
- Acting for various venue owners/managers in New Zealand including Regional Facilities Auckland, Positively Wellington venues, and Dunedin Venues Management
- Sport New Zealand - acting on restructuring a number of regional sports trusts