Superannuation (including KiwiSaver)
Superannuation is a topical issue that all employers are involved in, whether by contributing to KiwiSaver or through their own superannuation arrangements. There has been significant upheaval in the area of superannuation in recent years. The introduction of KiwiSaver has been momentous and other changes, such as the introduction of new investment adviser disclosure laws, have given rise to new challenges.
Simpson Grierson has a long-established superannuation practice. We advise some of New Zealand's largest superannuation, pension, and KiwiSaver scheme providers, including AMP, AXA, and Westpac.
We have extensive experience in advising on the full range of superannuation issues including the establishing, amending, and winding up of KiwiSaver schemes, complying superannuation funds, pensions, and other employer-based superannuation schemes.
We also advise on everyday administrative and regulatory issues, including in the areas of securities law, investment adviser, trustee duties, and dispute resolution. We regularly advise on superannuation issues in merger, acquisition, disposition, and liquidation arrangements.
We recognise that superannuation and pension issues will often have wider legal elements to them. Our superannuation experts work closely with our other specialist practice areas across the firm, particularly employment and tax.
Examples of our work
- Inland Revenue - principal external legal adviser on the introduction of KiwiSaver
- Accident Compensation Corporation - establishment of a complying Superannuation Fund
- Seafarers Retirement Fund - establishment of a KiwiSaver scheme
- H W Richardson Group - winding up of the Superannuation Scheme
- Ongoing advice for some of the largest staff superannuation schemes in New Zealand including Accident Compensation Corporation, AMP, AXA, BP Oil New Zealand, Seafarers Retirement Fund and Westpac New Zealand
- Advising on the establishment of a number of funds which have QROPS (qualifying recognised overseas pension scheme) status
- Industry participation through membership in and support of Workplace Savings New Zealand