Our tax lawyers are specialists in corporate and commercial taxation. They advise on a broad range of commercial transactions across all industries, as well as corporate mergers, acquisitions, and capital raisings. Our client base includes major banks, financial institutions, and corporates.
A number of our tax lawyers are experienced in handling significant tax disputes. They have expertise in regulatory proceedings and tax litigation, and work closely with our litigation department.
Our acknowledged expertise in cross-border taxation regularly sees us acting for international institutional investors and the global entertainment industry.
In addition, we offer expertise in public sector taxation. Our tax lawyers advise extensively in the local government area. In particular, they provide tax advice in connection with the relationship between our many local authority clients and their council-controlled organisations (CCOs).
Our tax practice also has a specialisation in the not-for-profit-sector. We advise numerous clients on charitable status and tax concession issues.
Examples of our work
- Auckland City Council, Auckland Transition Agency and Auckland Council - tax aspects of the integration of Auckland into a "supercity" (particularly in relation to financing arrangements), and ongoing advice on various income tax issues, GST issues, and charity-related matters affecting Auckland Council and its CCOs
- Westpac - multi-billion dollar financing and capital-raising transactions
- Harvard Management Company, Inc (investment arm of Harvard University) - tax advice on its New Zealand forestry investments including the sell-down of its residual stake in Kaingaroa Forest to Canadian pension fund Public Sector Pension Investment Board (PSP Investments
- FIGG Investments - tax advice on all aspects of the sale of ISO by FIGG Investments to Qube Holdings
- Graymont - tax advice on all aspects of the MacDonalds Lime and Taylors Lime acquisition from Holcim New Zealand
- Goodyear - restructuring of New Zealand business
- Mars Inc - New Zealand tax and legal aspects of the global purchase of Wrigley
- New Line Cinema - financing structure for The Lord of the Rings films
- Major film studios - film production grants, including Warner Bros (The Last Samurai), Universal Studios (King Kong) and Walden Media and Walt Disney Pictures (The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe)
- New Zealand Carbon Farming - structuring, and general tax advice
- Britannia and Endeavour Superannuation Schemes - ongoing tax advice, including on utilising the new foreign investment zero-rated PIE regime
- Richmond Investment Management - tax structuring, and general tax advice on establishing the PIE-compliant Richmond Funds