Gerald is a partner in the firm's local government and environment group. He advises on all aspects of resource management and local government law, with a focus on large infrastructure projects, land transport management and policy, and Maori/Treaty of Waitangi issues. In addition to providing a wide range of legal and strategic advice, Gerald regularly appears in the Environment Court and has successfully appeared in the High Court.
Gerald primarily acts for government entities, including Auckland Transport, Auckland Council, and Watercare, as well as other public bodies, such as the NZ Transport Agency.
Examples of Work
- Auckland Council - acting on appeals on the proposed Hauraki Gulf Islands District Plan
- Auckland Transport - advising on a proposal to designate the region's road network
- Waterview Connection - acting for the Auckland Council and Auckland Transport successfully achieving greater levels of mitigation
- Auckland Council and Metrowater - appeals on the Proposed Auckland Regional Plan on air, land, and water, including drainage networks and contaminated land
- Auckland Council - advising on the Council's stormwater network discharge applications
- Tauranga City Council - obtaining coastal, discharge, and land use consents for its Southern Pipeline project, including a pipe crossing the Tauranga harbour
- North Shore City Council - successfully resolving and defending appeals against designations and resource consents for the Northern Busway project
- North Shore City Council - appearing at Council hearings and defending appeals for the Esmonde Road, Lake Road, Wairau/Taharoto Road, and Anzac Street upgrades
- Tauranga City Council - obtaining designations, coastal permits, and consents for reclamations for the Tauranga second harbour crossing
- Eastern Transport Corridor and Auckland Manukau Eastern Transport Initiative (AMETI) projects - advising on project development and consenting issues
- American forestry company - 40 lot rural subdivision/"forest-park" development on Matakana Island
- Resource Management Law Association - Member
- Local Government Law in New Zealand 2003 - Contributing author