Heather is a partner and heads the firm's local government and environment group in Auckland. She specialises in all areas of resource management and environmental law, with a particular focus on the development and implementation of district plans and resource consent applications.
Heather has extensive experience advising on public works, designations, environmental due diligence, historic places, contaminated sites, and large infrastructure projects. She also has expertise in the areas of strategic growth planning, management of the rural environment and natural resources, urban intensification, and subdivision.
Heather acts primarily for local authorities such as Auckland Council and Tauranga District Council, as well as for private clients.
Heather has extensive advocacy experience and appears on appeals under the Resource Management Act on resource consents and district plans, as well as in judicial review proceedings in both the Environment Court and the High Court. She has also participated in many successful mediations, particularly resolving appeals on district plans.
She has also assisted with the development and passage of legislation, including the Waitakere Ranges Heritage Area Act 2008.
- Chambers Global Public Law 2013 - Leading Lawyer
Examples of Work
- Auckland City Council, Waitakere City Council and Tauranga City Council - district plan reviews
- Franklin District Council and Waitakere City Council - plan changes, including structure plans for Oratia, Swanson, and Pukekohe Hill
- Auckland City Council and Metrowater - appeals on the Proposed Auckland Regional Plan on air, land, and water, including drainage networks and contaminated land
- Franklin District Council - infrastructure projects, including the Watercare pipeline, Pokeno quarry, and Genesis wind farm
- Tauranga City Council - application for a 711 unit subdivision development at Papamoa
- Auckland Regional Council and Waitakere City Council - legislative drafting and policy development for the Waitakere Ranges Heritage Area Act 2008
- Resource Management Law Association - Member
- New Zealand Planning Institute - Affiliate member
- Auckland Women Lawyers' Association - Member