James is a partner and specialist litigator in the banking and finance department. His areas of specialisation are insolvency and restructuring, and banking and finance litigation. He acts for financial institutions, liquidators, receivers, directors, and creditors on both contentious and non-contentious matters.
James advises on all aspects of restructuring and insolvency law. He has extensive experience in liquidations, receiverships, administrations, and other insolvency proceedings (including statutory managements). He regularly acts on complex restructurings, cross-border insolvencies, directors' duties claims, professional negligence claims, voidable transaction claims, asset-tracing and fraud claims, and security disputes.
James appears in court at all levels, and is experienced in alternative dispute resolution.
- Chambers Global Restructuring & Insolvency 2013 - Leading Lawyer
- PLC Which Lawyer? Restructuring & Insolvency 2013 - Leading Lawyer
- The International Who's Who of Insolvency & Restructuring Lawyers 2013 - Leading Lawyer
- Asia Pacific Legal 500 Restructuring & Insolvency 2012 - Recommended Lawyer
Examples of Work
- Acting for the receivers of Lombard Finance & Investments, Strategic Finance, NZF Money, and other failed finance companies
- Acting on cross-border insolvencies, including HP Industries, Pitango and Gourmet Food Holdings, and Omegatrend International
- Acting for private equity funds in complex debt restructurings
- Advising lenders and receivers in the construction industry, the agri-sector, and the property sector
- Advising and acting on professional negligence claims
- Advising directors in respect of directors' duties
- Acting for and against liquidators in various liquidations, including voidable preference claims
- Advising on the Personal Property Securities Act
- INSOL New Zealand - Member
- Banking & Financial Services Law Association (BFSLA) - Member
- Inns of Court, London - Pegasus Scholar (2006)