James is a senior associate in the firm's corporate group. He is a corporate law specialist with experience in mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, and private equity and venture capital.
James was based in the United Kingdom before he started at Simpson Grierson. He spent six years working at Slaughter and May in London and has worked as in-house counsel to Balderton Capital, a leading European venture capital fund.
Examples of Work
- Revera - disposal of IT infrastructure and data business to Telecom for $96.5 million
- Balderton Capital - implementation of investments in numerous start-ups and growth stage companies including those in SCVNGR (layered reality products), Justyle (Chinese online fashion retailer) and KupiVIP (Russian online fashion retailer)
- Global Infrastructure Partners - £1.5 billion acquisition of London Gatwick Airport
- BUPA - £1.44 billion disposal of hospitals division to Cinven
- London's Albion Equity Partners - joint investment with The Licensing Company Limited in a US$4 million, 50% interest in Iconix Europe, a joint venture with US licensing company Iconix
- Akzo Nobel - disposal of Crown Paints pursuant to competition rulings following its acquisition of ICI
- SVG Capital - £200 million partially underwritten rights issue and placing
- BUPA - £90 million acquisition of London's Cromwell Hospital
- FirstGroup - acquisition of the leading US transportation provider Laidlaw
- BUPA - joint venture with UK based sports and leisure company, ADDleisure
- Solicitor, England and Wales