John is a partner and heads the Wellington commercial litigation team. He has over 20 years experience in civil litigation.
John specialises in commercial property disputes, banking and finance recoveries, and the energy sector.
He advises and represents many of the firm's major corporate and public sector clients. John appears in court at all levels, and is experienced in arbitration, mediation and alternative dispute resolution.
- PLC Which Lawyer? Dispute Resolution - Recommended lawyer 2010 - 2013
Examples of Work
- Grey District Council - acting in relation to a complex lease dispute
- A commercial gas consumer - advising and arguing on the disputed interpretation of a gas contract
- PwC - representing PWC as receivers in a number of defended security enforcement claims
- Swift Energy New Zealand - acting in connection with claims relating to the transfer of a petroleum exploration permit, including an application against the Crown for judicial review of consent to the transfer
- OMV - acting in connection with High Court proceedings and an application for interim relief relating to a dispute between joint venturers concerning the Maui pipeline
- New Plymouth District Council - defending over 150 proceedings in the High Court and Court of Appeal brought by claimants seeking to freehold their leasehold land
- A variety of clients ranging from the Commerce Commission, NZ Petroleum and Minerals, Department of Internal Affairs, Maritime New Zealand and the Ministry of Education, to the Advertising Standards Authority - advising and representing in their dealings with statutory and non-statutory regulators
- Kiwi Property Holdings - acting in connection with all aspects of lease enforcement and debt recovery at their shopping centres across New Zealand
- Solicitor, England and Wales
- Intellectual Property Society of Australia and New Zealand - Member
- Pacific Rim Advisory Council (PRAC) - Primary contact partner
- INSOL - member