Jonathan is a partner and leads the firm's local government and environment group in Wellington. He is one of New Zealand's foremost experts on the structures, processes, and funding of local government, advocating for this sector's interests through periods of dramatic reform and on specific major projects over the last 25 years.
He primarily acts for local authorities and their organisations, but also for those dealing with, or regulating for, local government. Jonathan is also sought out by private sector and governmental bodies looking to joint venture with local authorities.
His team advises and assists with everything from the day-to-day processes of a local authority to major projects, litigation, and reforms.
Jonathan is also experienced in lobbying, drafting, and promoting legislation as well as in judicial review proceedings.
Examples of Work
- New Plymouth District Council - proposal to facilitate the return of council land at Waitara to tangata whenua and defending consequent legal action brought by the Waitara Leaseholders Association
- Local Government New Zealand - development and implementation of the Local Government (Rating) Act 2002 and the Local Government Act 2002
- Woolworths v Wellington City Council - challenges to local authority rating for Local Government New Zealand (Court of Appeal)
- Hutt City Council - representative on the council's executive management group for the $60 million Hutt Valley waste water project
- New Plymouth District Council - strategic adviser on the sale of its controlling interest in Powerco
- Rodney District Council and Others v Valuer General - declaration proceedings successfully upholding the council's position on the apportionment of properties for rating purposes (High Court, Court of Appeal and Privy Council)
- SGS Reports to the Ministry for the Environment on "mechanisms for managing urban change" - Legal adviser and peer reviewer
- Local Government Know How projects on rating and local authority decision making - Legal adviser
- Brookers Guide to the Local Government Act 2002 and Thomsons Local Government Law in New Zealand - Principal author
- National Transition Committee for Local Government Reform - A New Century for Local Government- Author of several papers
- Office of the Auditor General's report on consultation in local government - Author
- Department of Internal Affairs' report on local authorities' existing powers and responsibilities to deliver water and waste water services - Author