Mary is a senior associate in the transactional banking and finance group in Auckland. She has experience in a broad range of domestic and international banking and finance transactions, with particular expertise in leveraged acquisition finance, debt restructuring, debt capital markets, US securities issuances, and financial regulation. She acts for banks, borrowers, arrangers, issuers, trustees, fund managers, and project sponsors.
Mary joined the firm after several years' working in Hong Kong at "Wall Street" law firm Milbank, Tweed, Hadley & McCloy LLP, and prior to that in Sydney at Baker & McKenzie.
Examples of Work
- Westpac - partial demerger of the institutional banking business of the New Zealand branch of Westpac Banking Corporation, involving the transfer of approximately $6.2 billion customer loans and $5.8 billion customer deposits to Westpac New Zealand
- Sanctuary Group - refinance of the Group's Australian and New Zealand bank facilities and mezzanine funding
- Fisher & Paykel Finance - $400 million receivables-backed master trust securitisation programme
- GCL Silicon (NASDAQ-listed Chinese corporation) - US$1 billion of pre-IPO financing (involving a syndicated loan with equity upside, an exchangeable bond, and a convertible bond, with US registration rights)
- Creditors' Committee, Lehman Brothers bankruptcy - acted for Asia-based creditors of Lehman Brothers
- Senior and mezzanine financing of numerous leveraged buyouts throughout Australasia, Asia, and the United Kingdom (acting for Goldman Sachs, Credit Suisse, Bank of Scotland, CCMP, CHAMP Private Equity, Archer Capital, Next Capital, and Farallon)
- Mandra Capital/Morgan Stanley - debt and equity investment in three China-based coal and chemical plants
- Deutsche Bank and Credit Suisse (as underwriters and lead arrangers) - US$400 million Rule 144A/Reg S bond issue and US$450 million syndicated loan secured over assets throughout Asia, Europe, the United States, and the United Kingdom
- Admitted as solicitor, England and Wales
- Admitted as solicitor, New South Wales