Mike is a partner in the firm's commercial group, specialising in infrastructure and technology.
In the infrastructure/utilities sector, Mike's clients include leading companies and public authorities in the telecommunications, electricity, transport, water/wastewater and solid waste sectors. He provides advice on issues such as interconnection, regulatory compliance, outsourcing, infrastructural/network development, mergers and acquisitions, the negotiation and drafting of commercial contracts, joint ventures and PPP (public private partnership) arrangements. Mike is an expert in outsourcing, particularly network/utilities management, repair and maintenance.
In the telecommunications sector, Mike provides advice on strategic alliances and joint ventures, regulatory issues, interconnection agreements, spectrum auction/acquisition/disposal advice, reseller/distribution, satellite, and major customer contracts, technology procurement, fibre leasing/IRU contracts, and broadband network establishment.
He co-heads the firm's information & communications technology (ICT) group, providing advice to users and suppliers in the technology sector, particularly in relation to life sciences, information technology, e-commerce and the commercialisation of technology.
Mike has extensive experience in buying and selling businesses and companies, and in the establishment of joint ventures (particularly in the insurance sector). He has a particular interest in the areas of business structuring and capital raising for early to mid stage companies.
- Chambers Global TMT 2013 - Leading Lawyer
Examples of Work
- Kordia New Zealand - sale of Orcon, New Zealand's fourth largest internet service provider
- Electricity - Co-generation/embedded generation/transmission projects/contract documents for Northpower/Counties Power
- DB Breweries - establishment of Barworks joint venture; sale of Liquorland; purchase of Redwood Cellars
- Kordia - acquisition of Orcon Internet
- Methven - acquisition of Deva Tap Company (UK) and associated rights issue/institutional placement
- Transpower - acquisition of new technology to upgrade inter-island HVDC link (approximately $700 million project)
- Veolia Water - 50 year franchise agreement (public private partnership) with Papakura District Council to operate water/wastewater systems
- Antipodean Biotechnology - capital raising, establishment of US operations, and phase II of clinical trials agreements for treatment of Parkinson's disease
- Kordia - trans-Tasman fibre optic cable project
- Royal & Sun Alliance/Vero - acquisitions of Royal Insurance, Tyndall, Commercial Union General Insurance, AMP Insurance (including amalgamation of AA-GIO and AA Insurance) and Autosure
- Promina's $2.1b IPO
- Auckland Council - infrastructure funding and works contracts for Massey North Town Centre
- SmartCo - establishment of smart metering joint venture between electricity lines companies
- An Introduction to E-Commerce Law in New Zealand - Co-author