Michael is a partner in and heads the Wellington commercial property group.
His specialist areas of expertise are the buying, leasing, and developing of commercial property. He has advised on numerous leasing and development projects around New Zealand.
Michael's property work includes drafting sale and purchase agreements, leases, development agreements for new build or refurbishment projects, undertaking due diligence investigations, and advising corporates on the management of their property portfolios.
- Asic Pacific Legal 500 Real Estate & Construction 2015 - Recommended Lawyer
- The International Who's Who Legal Real Estate 2010 - Leading Lawyer
Examples of Work
- Inland Revenue - development agreement, lease and construction advice for a newly constructed building in Christchurch for co-location with Ministry of Social Development, following disruption to the Christchurch CBD by the earthquake
- IGC - development agreement, lease and construction contracts for upgrading, strengthening, and refurbishment of student accommodation portfolio in Cumberland House and Education House in Wellington, with Victoria University
- Inland Revenue and other government agencies - advice on earthquake issues, insurance, strengthening, and options for leasing arrangements
- Department of Prime Minister and Cabinet - advice on leasing issues, Government House refurbishment, and legal advice on property issues
- BP Oil New Zealand - purchase and development of greenfield sites for construction and operation of new service stations in Auckland, Wellington, Christchurch, and throughout New Zealand
- Private clients - development of major trusts, estate planning, structures, and charitable trusts
- BP Oil New Zealand - property and commercial advice for BP's New Zealand network of service stations, truck stops, terminals, and all aspects of their network and infrastructure
- IGC - agreements for earthquake restrengthening, lease, construction contracts, and refurbishment of student accommodation in McKenzies Building for WelTec
- Inland Revenue - earthquake strengthening issues, insurance issues, advice and opinions on Christchurch properties affected by the earthquake, and their national portfolio generally
- New Zealand embassies - advice on establishment, leasing, and tenancy issues for various embassies in New Zealand
- Advice and assistance to offshore investors purchasing property in New Zealand
- Notary Public and Secretary of the Wellington Society of Notaries
- Honorary Consul General of Finland
- Brookers Trusts, Practice and Procedure - Co-editor
- Brookers Wills and Estates, Practice and Procedure - Co-editor
- New Zealand Law Society - member
- National presenter to Auckland District Law Society seminars, New Zealand Law Society Conferences, Lexis Nexis National Trusts Conferences, and Property Institute of New Zealand National Programme of Continuing Education