Tim is a partner in the firm's commercial litigation group. He specialises in energy and resources disputes and is regularly engaged on matters which have commercial and strategic significance for the sector.
Tim's expertise also extends to competition, regulatory and financial services work. His client base includes large multinationals, listed companies and SOEs.
Tim has been in practice for nearly 20 years. During this time, he has undertaken postgraduate study at the University of Oxford and worked at a leading London litigation firm.
- Chambers Global Dispute Resolution 2014 - Leading Lawyer
Examples of Work
- Solid Energy - litigation with the Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi involving a challenge to a Part 14 compromise proposed by Solid Energy and adopted by the majority of its bank creditors
- Petrobras - judicial review proceedings brought by Greenpeace and Te Whanau-a-Apanui concerning the Minister of Energy's decision to award a petroleum exploration permit in the Raukumara Basin
- New Zealand Oil & Gas - Royal Commission on the Pike River Coal Mine Tragedy
- OMV New Zealand - litigation between the Pohokura joint venture partners about governance of the production and offtake of gas
- OMV New Zealand - litigation between the Maui joint venture partners about open access to the Maui pipeline
- OMV New Zealand - litigation about the operatorship of the Maui and Pohokura fields
- Fugro-Geoteam - declaratory proceedings brought with ExxonMobil against the Crown regarding entitlement to seismic data relating to the Great South Basin
- Oceana Gold - litigation with Z Energy about liability for ETS costs
- Oceana Gold - litigation with Royalco Resources about a royalty agreement
- Tap New Zealand - judicial review proceedings against the Minister of Energy relating to the refusal of a petroleum exploration permit
- Transpower - judicial review proceedings brought by New Era Energy concerning the approval by the Electricity Commission of the North Island Grid Upgrade Project
- Energy Efficiency and Conservation Authority - a Waitangi Tribunal claim concerning the Crown's support for the construction of a wind farm on the Te Waka Range
- Christchurch City Council - judicial review proceedings brought by a public interest group concerning the setting of rents for the Council's social housing tenants
- New Zealand Guardian Trust - application for directions regarding the treatment of unclaimed redemption and interest payments to missing holders of capital notes and bonds
- Center for International Legal Studies - Fellow
- AMPLA - Member
- LEANZ - Member