Tim is a partner in the firm's commercial litigation group. He has extensive experience working on complex commercial and public law disputes across a range of areas, with an emphasis on contract, company law, financial markets, insolvency, insurance and regulatory matters.
Tim has specialist expertise in energy and resources litigation and is regularly engaged on matters which have commercial and strategic significance for the sector.
Tim has been in practice for 20 years. During this time, he has undertaken postgraduate study at the University of Oxford and worked at a leading London litigation firm.
- Asia Pacific Legal 500 Dispute Resolution 2015 - Recommended Lawyer
- Chambers Global Dispute Resolution 2014 - Leading Lawyer
Examples of Work
- Solid Energy - litigation with the Bank of Tokyo–Mitsubishi involving a challenge to a Part 14 compromise proposed by Solid Energy and adopted by the majority of its bank creditors
- Petrobras - judicial review proceedings brought by Greenpeace and Te Whanau–a–Apanui concerning the Minister of Energy's decision to award a petroleum exploration permit in the Raukumara Basin
- OMV New Zealand - litigation between the Pohokura field owners involving contractual and competition law challenges to the joint venture's governance of production and offtake of gas
- Fugro–Geoteam - litigation involving ExxonMobil and the Crown regarding entitlement to seismic data relating to the Great South Basin
- Oceana Gold - litigation with Z Energy about liability for ETS costs under a supply agreement
- Transpower - judicial review proceedings brought by New Era Energy concerning the approval by the Electricity Commission of the North Island Grid Upgrade Project
- Christchurch City Council - judicial review proceedings brought by a public interest group concerning the setting of rents for the Council's social housing tenants
- New Zealand Guardian Trust - application for directions regarding the treatment of unclaimed redemption and interest payments to missing holders of capital notes and bonds
- NZOG - Royal Commission on the Pike River Coal Mine Tragedy
- LEANZ - President
- AMPLA - Member