Richard is a senior litigation partner. He has been a partner at the firm since 1986, and formerly headed the dispute resolution department. He has more than 25 years' experience in civil litigation.
He acts on a wide range of commercial disputes for many of the firm's major corporate and local authority clients. His experience includes banking, contract, insurance, professional liability, company and securities, insolvency, negligence, and property litigation.
Richard regularly appears in court as sole or lead counsel. He also acts as instructing solicitor and assisting counsel to a number of New Zealand's most prominent Queen's Counsel.
Richard is also experienced in arbitration and mediation. He actively seeks cost-effective, practical, and innovative strategies and solutions to disputes.
- AsiaLaw Leading Lawyers Guide Dispute Resolution 2016 - Leading Lawyer
- Chambers Asia-Pacific Dispute Resolution 2015 - Leading Lawyer
- The International Who's Who Legal Litigation 2015 - Leading Lawyer
- PLC Which Lawyer? Dispute Resolution 2013 - Leading Lawyer
- Asia Pacific Legal 500 Dispute Resolution 2010 - Leading Lawyer
Examples of Work
- Compensation claims in respect of a number of significant Public Works Act land acquisitions
- Tax avoidance litigation concerning a variety of cross-border structured finance transactions
- Bringing and defending negligence claims against auditors, and a variety of other professionals
- Rent review arbitrations
- Claims for breaches of warranty under business acquisition agreements
- Equitable claims for alleged breaches of fiduciary and trustee obligations
- Association of Dispute Resolvers (LEADR) - Member