Private Equity & Venture Capital
Our private equity and venture capital group provides broad international experience and a depth of expertise, gained from working in some of the world's leading international law firms. We have been involved in the private equity and venture capital industry in New Zealand since its inception. We have advised on many of New Zealand's most notable private equity and venture capital transactions.
Our experience includes advice on the establishment, structuring, funding, and management of private equity and venture capital funds. We advise on leveraged and management buyouts and exit strategies, including public offerings and trade sale.
Our private equity and venture capital group draws upon expert support from our wider specialist teams throughout the firm to tackle any issues that arise.
Our legal expertise is supplemented by close involvement in relevant industry initiatives and organisations. We are an active member and participant, as well as a founding sponsor, of the New Zealand Private Equity & Venture Capital Association (NZVCA).
- Burger King - advising management on Blackstone's acquisition from Anchorage
- Kuwait Finance House (Bahrain) - divestment of the global rights to the Canterbury brand to JD Sports Fashion
- DB Zwirn - financing of Positive Educare in connection with the takeover offer/management buy-out for, and delisting of, Kidicorp Group
- Fulton Hogan - disposal of EnviroWaste to Ironbridge Capital
- Camm 4 (private equity investee company) - acquisition of the Shears & Mak shop-fittings business
- Champ Ventures - acquisition of the Botanical Foods Company (Taura Natural Ingredients)
- Old Fashion Foods (Gresham Rabo) - acquisition of Hansells
- Various buy-out funds on their respective sell-downs through initial public offerings of Pumpkin Patch and Methven
- Various buy-out funds in connection with the sales processes for Griffins, Independent Liquor, Tegel, Yellow Pages, Hirepool, Goodman Fielder and Ezi-buy
- New Zealand Venture Investment Fund - establishment of its venture capital funds
- New Zealand Venture Investment Fund - management and co-investment arrangements for its seed capital fund
- Halo Fund No 1 - establishment of early stage private equity fund
- Various fund managers - on limited partnership structures for funds