Agribusiness is the primary driver of the New Zealand economy and one of our most dynamic, fast-changing sectors.
Clients look to us for commercial advice on the legal issues facing their businesses. Key issues include securing funding for growth and investment in R&D, managing environmental impacts from operations, scarcity of resources (for example, water), commercialising IP, industry and regulatory constraints, and managing exports, sales, and marketing.
We act for a range of clients, including major international and New Zealand corporates. Our core services include mergers and acquisitions, capital raising, joint ventures, industry and regulatory compliance, structuring, intellectual property and operational advice.
We also regularly advise our international clients on New Zealand's overseas investment regime.
We are an experienced adviser to dairy clients, including Inner Mongolia Yili (owner of Oceania Dairy Limited), LIC and The a2 Milk Company. We advise on investments, acquisitions (including farm land), processing facility construction, joint ventures, regulatory compliance, and emerging issues.
We advise clients including meat production, grain production and sale, salt production, processing, viticulture, and horticulture businesses.
Our work includes corporate transactions, regulation, compliance (including food safety), structuring, and commercial challenges relating to sales, marketing, and export of produce, including food and beverages.
A wide range of businesses support agribusiness, including suppliers of machinery, specialist equipment, life sciences and technology, transport, and animal feed. We advise on commercial issues relating to investment, funding, commercialisation, improvements in technology, efficiencies, environmental impacts, and regulatory compliance.
Animal welfare is increasingly important in international trade and consumer relations, affecting the public image of producers and their brands. Our experts advise on the Animal Welfare Act, codes of welfare, emerging issues and trends, and consumer concerns.
Examples of our work
- LIC (Livestock Improvement Corporation) - full service advice, including corporate, commercial, intellectual property, competition and employment
- The a2 Milk Company - supporting its growth strategy, including advising on commercialising its IP and on its corporate programme which has included capital raising, acquisitions, strategic arrangements and international expansion
- Shanghai Maling Aquarius - purchase of a 50% interest in Silver Fern Farms
- Inner Mongolia Yili - acquisition and construction of $210 million milk processing facility
- Glencore Grain - sale of NRM feed business to Mainfeeds and Farmlands
- New Zealand Manuka - investment in New Zealand manuka honey and honey products manufacturer and supplier
- EastPack - merger with Satara Co-operative Group to create New Zealand's largest kiwifruit packhouse operation
- Bright Dairy & Food Company - $120 million initial public offering of Synlait Milk
- Agria Corporation - $120 million investment in PGG Wrightson as part of its $250 million capital raising, and associated strategic co-operation agreement between Agria and PGG Wrightson
- GEA Process Engineering - acquisition of all of the shares of Nu-Con