Market forces as well as legislative and regulatory requirements have given rise to increasingly complex property transactions. Our property law specialists can identify risks at the earliest possible stage leading to better planning and wiser decision-making.
We have advised on some of the most significant and ground-breaking developments on the New Zealand landscape, providing strategic advice to investors, developers, landlords and tenants, and organisations undertaking major infrastructure projects.
Our legal experts work collaboratively with our other specialist practice areas. If a development requires advice in taxation/structuring, construction, dispute resolution, resource management, or property finance, we engage our specialists in those areas to ensure clients benefit from their strategic and cost-effective advice.
We advise across all industries and regularly act for major players in the subdivision, shopping centre, forestry, infrastructure, local authority, and hotel sectors. Our services are also called on for partnerships between the public and private sector (PPPs) and where Overseas Investment Office (OIO) consent for land acquisition is required.
Examples of our work - major projects
- Auckland Transport - numerous major projects including the acquisition of properties and substratum land required for the City Rail Link; the acquisition of the properties required for the AMETI project; and acquisitions in relation to the Waterview Connection
- Auckland City Council (now Auckland Council) - property issues relating to major projects including Britomart (the largest infrastructure project ever undertaken by a local authority in New Zealand); and Wynyard Quarter (the largest urban redevelopment and regeneration project undertaken in New Zealand).
- Tauranga Harbour Link - land acquisitions for one of New Zealand's largest transport projects
- Public Private Partnerships - Bream Bay Land Owners Association waste-water treatment plant, Vector Arena, and Penlink transport project
Examples of our work - commercial property investment, management and development
- Scentre Group (Westfield Shopping Centres) and Kiwi Income Property Trust - management and leasing work for their shopping centre portfolios throughout New Zealand
- Auckland Council - acquisition of the 30 storey ASB Bank Building in downtown Auckland
- The Arts Council of Christchurch - ongoing property management and development advice
- New Zealand Carbon Farming - acting in relation to its New Zealand wide (ETS) leasing programme
- Bunnings - purchase and leasing of its complete property portfolio in New Zealand
- BP Oil New Zealand - advising on the full range of its property and general commercial requirements throughout New Zealand, including supply agreements, land control issues, specialist developments (such as motorway service centres), infrastructure projects, and its Land Bank
- IGC NZ Student Holdings Limited - significant refurbishment and development of three buildings in Wellington used for student accommodation
- Inland Revenue and other government agencies - advice on earthquake issues, insurance, strengthening and options for leasing arrangements
- Hotels - establishment in New Zealand of Singapore based Dynasty Hotel Group, acquisition of the Carlton Hotel by Hong Kong-based interests Langham Hotel Auckland and unit titling and sale of hotel apartments in St Moritz, Queenstown
- Hopper Developments - canal developments throughout New Zealand, including Pauanui Waterways, Marsden Cove, and Whitianga Waterways