We are specialist construction lawyers. We are not property lawyers who dabble in construction contracts; we specialise in drafting construction contracts. We are not litigators who dabble in construction disputes; we specialise in resolving construction disputes. Our construction group has a depth and breadth of experience unrivalled by any other law firm in the country.
We understand the construction industry. We have in-depth experience, gained from many decades advising on construction projects, contracts, and disputes. Our experience covers all industry sectors, including telecommunications, roading and transport, water and waste water, oil and gas, solid waste, energy, mining, tunnelling, and building (including commercial, residential, and public properties).
We have been involved in many, if not most, major construction projects in New Zealand. We have also advised clients on a number of international projects. We have experience in the United Kingdom, Australia, Fiji and the South Pacific, South-East Asia, and Africa.
We advise on all aspects of construction projects, from the early stages of planning, financing, structuring, documentation, and procurement through to commissioning and final completion.
A key speciality is advising both public and private sector clients on public private partnerships (PPPs).
We also advise clients on innovative methods of procurement and contract structuring. We regularly assist clients to develop and implement partnering, alliancing, and other collaborative working initiatives.
We have expertise in all aspects of alternative dispute resolution, including mediation, adjudication, and dispute review boards. This complements our extensive experience with traditional forums for disputes, such as arbitration and litigation.
As we are part of one of the country’s largest law firms, we can at any stage call on our colleagues' expertise to assist with resource consent, planning, regulatory, property, finance, tax, information technology, energy, local government, competition, and commercial law issues.
Examples of our work - major infrastructure and development projects
- Auckland City Rail Link - legal adviser to Auckland Transport on the procurement for the City Rail Link (CRL) Main Works. CRL is one of the most significant infrastructure projects ever undertaken in New Zealand, and a key part of the plan for Auckland's future. It is due for completion in 2023.
- Transmission Gully State Highway Project (a $1 billion public private partnership to develop a new highway north of Wellington) - legal adviser to the Leighton Contractors Pty and HEB Construction Joint Venture on all aspects relating to the design and construct element of the project
- Auckland City Council (now Auckland Council):
- public private partnership for the $80 million Vector Arena (a 12,000-seat indoor stadium delivered on a PPP/BOOT basis), including drafting the Concession Deed and associated documents
- contract documentation for the $133 million upgrade of the Auckland Art Gallery
- Britomart Transport Centre project and Britomart above-ground redevelopment contract involving heritage restoration and new developments in Auckland
- Transpower - North Island 400kV overhead transmission line project, including drafting both the Interim Project Alliance Agreement and the Project Alliance Agreement for procurement of this project on a "competitive alliance" basis (the first competitive alliance in New Zealand)
- Manukau Institute of Technology Business School - advising on the re-structuring of procurement and contracts for this $90 million project post the Mainzeal insolvency
- Victoria Quarter development - $1 billion+ project involving over 20 mixed use commercial, retail and residential building in the Victoria Quarter adjacent to the Auckland central business district
- Canterbury Earthquake Recovery Authority (CERA) - advising on demolition strategy and preparing associated documents
- Christchurch International Airport - $200 million international terminal expansion project
- Manukau Wastewater Services (an international joint venture) - Project Manukau, a $470 million wastewater treatment plant at Manukau Harbour (New Zealand's largest, and one of the world's largest, capacity water treatment plants of its type)
- Department of Corrections - advising on the long term alliance and associated contracts, including construction, of its Regional Prisons Development project (including four major regional prisons to be developed over the next seven years
Examples of our work - dispute resolution
- Mt Smart Stadium - disputes about the reconstruction of the stadium
- Christchurch City Council - advising on contractual issues arising out of the Christchurch earthquakes
- Christchurch City Council - disputes arising from a pipeline contract
- Waihi gold mine - project disputes (resolved via mediation)
- Rolls-Royce - High Court proceedings involving a $150 million damages claim concerning the Kinleith Co-Generation Plant