Simpson Grierson has significant experience in the insurance sector. We provide specialist advice to a number of insurers, reinsurers, brokers, and insureds.
Our experience and expertise covers all sectors of the life, general, and reinsurance industry, including material damage, public liability, product liability, professional indemnity, directors and officers, health, disability, income protection, and marine insurance.
Our work covers a wide range of matters, including:
- product design and general advice on policy documentation
- statutory and regulatory requirements
- distribution arrangements
- captive insurance arrangements
- policy coverage
- compliance programmes
- project insurance
- taxation issues
- dispute resolution
- public policy issues.
We regularly work alongside other specialists in our banking & finance and corporate & commercial departments to advise on insurance issues arising on mergers and acquisitions, capital raisings, insolvency, restructuring, and portfolio transfers.
Examples of our work - corporate, commercial and regulatory
- Fidelity Life - $145 million acquisition of the life insurance business of TOWER
- nib holdings - acquisitions of TOWER Medical Insurance and OnePath Life (NZ) Limited
- Royal & Sun Alliance - acquisition of AMP's general insurance portfolio
- Assisting a number of overseas insurers on compliance with New Zealand statutory and regulatory requirements
- RealCover Insurance - on compliance issues and the transfer of its insurance business to Australia
- Transpower - insurance and indemnity arrangements relating to Meridian Energy's Project West wind farm
- Advising on the establishment and winding up of a number of life and general insurance companies in New Zealand
- Advising on the appropriate tax treatment of certain insurance arrangements
Examples of our work - dispute resolution
- HDI-Gerling Industrial Insurance Company - acting on a number of complex multi-claimant product liability disputes
- Fidelity Life - advising on claims, policy wording, coverage, and litigation matters
- Wellington City Council - acting in litigation against a liability mutual fund for declinature of cover
- Willis New Zealand - acting in litigation against the Fire Service Commission concerning liability for fire service levies
- Advising an international corporation on a claim that it is carrying out insurance business in New Zealand
- Acting for a public entity on a claim against its brokers for negligence in placement of cover