We have New Zealand's largest and best-recognised life sciences team. We advise a number of the world's largest pharmaceutical and animal health companies, and some of New Zealand's largest businesses in the food and agricultural areas.
We cover every aspect of the technology life cycle, including:
- corporate structuring
- technology transfer
- intellectual property protection and enforcement
- regulatory compliance
- clinical trials
- commercialisation arrangements
- product recall
- exit strategies.
We understand how New Zealand is a distinct market. In particular, we understand how PHARMAC operates the centralised regulatory health environment and the challenges to domestic and international companies. We provide strategic advice on PHARMAC tender and licensing strategies, and have been involved in New Zealand's largest and most successful multi-product supply deals.
On the veterinary and agricultural side, our team has assisted universities, statutory bodies, pharmaceutical, and agricultural companies in bringing products to market, with compliance issues and patent infringement disputes.
Key areas of our life sciences industry expertise include:
- PHARMAC negotiations and submissions
- New Zealand medical and medical device regulatory regimes
- patents and IP protection
- commercialisation strategies
- litigation and reputation management
- clinical trial agreements and consent
- venture capital
- import and export of medicines and medical devices.
Examples of our work
- Competition law and regulatory issues arising from one of the world's largest pharmaceutical asset swaps
- Negotiation of multi-product sole supply arrangements with PHARMAC for patented medicines
- Patent infringement litigation relating to one of New Zealand's most valuable subsidised medicines
- Litigation regarding claims to ownership of patented mastitis technology
- Advising in respect of the acquisition of patents and other intellectual property assets from a New Zealand animal health company, and related licensing and supply arrangements
- Multi-jurisdictional patent litigation involving enforcement and validity of key patented technology relating to seed growth
- Intellectual property protection and commercialisation strategy and related contractual arrangements for one of New Zealand's leading universities
- The a2 Milk Company - supporting its growth strategy, including advising on commercialising its IP and on its corporate programme which has included capital raising, acquisitions, strategic arrangements and international expansion
- Exportation and sale of pharmaceuticals and health supplements