Māori Business & Treaty of Waitangi
Our Māori business group offers understanding, insight and a proven track record in working with and advising iwi, organisations, corporations, local authorities and government departments. Our clients include Tuaropaki Trust, Waikato-Tainui Group, Māori Television and Te Wānanga o Aotearoa.
We work across our specialist practice areas to provide commercial, policy, strategic, and regulatory advice. We are proven experts in iwi business development, corporate bodies, trusts, and commercial law. Our Māori business specialists also advise on the Te Ture Whenua Māori Land Act and the Resource Management Act, and can assist in the strategic development of relationships with Māori.
We also advise on a range of Treaty of Waitangi related issues, including Treaty settlements and compliance with Treaty principles, requiring a detailed understanding of the primary legislation and its interface with other areas of law. Our many years of experience has given us an in-depth appreciation of the complexity and sensitivities involved in this often high-profile area. We have also developed strong, collaborative relationships with the individuals, entities, and agencies working to address the issues affecting Māori and the Crown.
Examples of our work
- Waikato-Tainui Group - advising on resource management, local government, governance and commercial property matters
- Ngāti Whātua Ōrākei Trust - acting for the commercial arm of the trust in refinancing and restructuring of debt facilities
- Te Rūnanga o Ngāi Tahu - advising on water allocation and management issues relating to the Waikati catchment and the Canterbury Land and Water Regional Plan
- Local authorities and local government organisations - advice and assistance with iwi engagement and joint decision-making
- Te Patuwai Tribal Committee - opposing the proposed dumping of the MV Rena on the Astrolabe Reef
- Tuaropaki Trust - numerous projects, including obtaining resource consents for geothermal power station, and advising on finance and construction issues
- Te Wānanga o Aotearoa - advising on a range of commercial, property, employment, intellectual property and other issues
- Auckland Council - engagement with Māori and the Māori Statutory Board
- Māori Television - advising on a range of legal issues, in particular news and current affairs matters
- ATAMIRA Māori in the City 2013 - brand protection
- Te Reo Whakapuaki Iri Rangi - supply, implementation, and support of a national broadcast distribution network system for over 21 Maori radio stations, funded by Te Māngai Pāho (the Māori broadcasting funding agency)
- Southern Pipeline - acting for applicant for this project where key issues included the cultural impact of the proposed waste water pipeline as it crossed the harbour and travelled through Māori land
- Application to subdivide land on Matakana Island, which raised cultural and Māori roadway issues
- Tauranga City Council and NZ Transport Agency - appeals by Māori land owners against the designations for the Sandhurst Drive link and motorway interchange. We acted for the Council on the related Waitangi Tribunal and compensation issues