Water & Wastewater
Managing water resources is a key long-term priority for New Zealand. We have considerable industry experience in water, wastewater, and stormwater, having been involved in many of the most significant projects in New Zealand in recent years.
We work with our water and wastewater clients, including councils, CCOs, utilities, or major corporate water users, as business partners. We work closely with professionals at all levels of the water and wastewater industry in order to achieve effective results for clients, whether we are advising on projects or regulation or resolving major litigation.
Our expertise spans resource management, construction, regulatory, contract, and commercial law.
Examples of our work
- Watercare Services - numerous projects including:
- applications for an additional water take from the Waikato River (to secure Auckland's water supply needs until 2050)
- application for its comprehensive Auckland-wide wastewater network discharge consent
- its Water Supply and Wastewater Network Bylaw, which replaces eight 'legacy' bylaws
- wastewater charging and infrastructure growth charges
- Metrowater (now Watercare) - numerous projects including:
- the Clear Harbour Alliance contract for sewer and stormwater separation in central Auckland
- the Framework Agreement for maintenance and renewal of wastewater and water facilities (based on NEC suite of contracts)
- Auckland Council - application for comprehensive stormwater network discharge consent
- Project Manukau - advising the contractor joint venture on the $500 million+ wastewater treatment plant at Manukau Harbour
- Veolia Water - projects including advising on environmental liability for Moa Point and Karori wastewater treatment plants
- United Water - franchise establishment for the maintenance and operation of Papakura District Council's water and wastewater services (first of its type in New Zealand by a local authority)
- Advising many local authorities in relation to long term water and wastewater maintenance and operations contracts (based on NZS3910, NEC and other forms of contract)
- Tauranga City Council - numerous projects including Southern Pipeline project; resource consents and designations for the Waiari water supply and treatment plant project; and stormwater consents for five stormwater catchments in Tauranga
- Kāpiti Coast District Council - advising on Waikanae River water take consents, water metering bylaw, and compulsory rainwater tanks for new dwellings
- Christchurch City Council - numerous projects including PPP/DBFO contracts for biosolids treatment and disposal, including separate energy centre and biosolids processing projects; South West Christchurch Area global stormwater discharge consents; and $85 million ocean outfall and pump station projects
- Hawke's Bay Regional Council - defending appeals on minimum flow and allocation regimes, the use of water shortage directions, and the Ruataniwha dam project
- New Plymouth District Council - advising on wastewater treatment plant upgrades and consent renewals