Shan is a partner in the employment law group. She advises on all employment relations issues in the workplace. She has particular expertise in union-related issues, alongside discrimination, privacy and contract claims.
Shan has represented clients at mediations, in the Employment Relations Authority, and in court proceedings (including the Court of Appeal).
Her work experience includes time at one of London's leading law firms, Allen & Overy. This enabled Shan to gain high-level experience in employment issues over different jurisdictions.
She also has in-house experience of managing a restructuring and redundancy process for 800 employees at four different sites. She has assisted a number of clients with change management projects.
She also has in-house experience in managing a restructuring and redundancy process for 800 employees at four different sites. She has assisted a number of clients with change management projects.
- PLC Which Lawyer? Labour & Employee Benefits 2013 - Leading Lawyer
- Asia Pacific Legal 500 Employment 2013 - Recommended Lawyer
- ALB Employment Law Survey 2009 - Leading Lawyer
Examples of Work
- Spotless Services - collective bargaining in the public health sector (including a test case on claims under multi-employer collective agreements)
- Spotless Services - Employment Court and Court of Appeal litigation on health and safety lockouts
- Dynea NZ - test case about the dividing line between the Employment Court's and Employment Relations Authority's jurisdiction
- Geneva Finance - search order to retrieve misappropriated intellectual property
- Fisher & Paykel Appliances - personal grievance claims (including in relation to time recording and overtime systems, and misappropriation of intellectual property)
- University of Auckland - defeat of challenge to University's salary offers to non-union staff; defense of dismissed lecturer's claim for unjustified dismissal and defeat of reinstatement claim; defeat of Associate Professor's challenge to the University's promotion process and allocation of research time for academic staff; successfully defending a challenge to a fixed term appointment in the University
- Telecom - successful defence of personal grievance claims arising from the closure of a consulting business
- Veolia Transport Auckland - contract interpretation issue around discretionary sick pay
- Negotiation of senior executive terminations
- Handled investigations for clients into allegations of bullying and harassment
- Solicitor, England and Wales
- Australia & New Zealand Education Law Association - Member