Our tax lawyers are specialists in corporate and commercial taxation. They advise on a broad range of commercial transactions across all industries, as well as corporate mergers, acquisitions, and capital raisings. Our client base includes major banks, financial institutions, and corporates.
A number of our tax lawyers are experienced in handling significant tax disputes. They have expertise in regulatory proceedings and tax litigation, and work closely with our litigation department.
Our acknowledged expertise in cross-border taxation regularly sees us acting for international institutional investors and the global entertainment industry.
In addition, we offer expertise in public sector taxation. Our tax lawyers advise extensively in the local government area. In particular, they provide tax advice in connection with the relationship between our many local authority clients and their council-controlled organisations (CCOs).
Our tax practice also has a specialisation in the not-for-profit-sector. We advise numerous clients on charitable status and tax concession issues.
- Auckland City Council, Auckland Transition Agency, and Auckland Council - advising on tax aspects of the integration of Auckland into a "supercity" (particularly in relation to financing arrangements), and ongoing advice on various income tax issues, GST issues, and charity-related matters affecting Auckland Council and its CCOs
- Westpac Banking Corporation - multi-billion dollar financing and capital-raising transactions
- Goodyear - restructuring of New Zealand business
- Harvard Management Company, Inc (investment arm of Harvard University) - New Zealand forestry investments
- Mars Inc - New Zealand tax and legal aspects of the global purchase of Wrigley
- New Line Cinema - financing structure for The Lord of the Rings films
- Major film studios - film production grants, including Warner Bros (The Last Samurai), Universal Studios (King Kong) and Walden Media and Walt Disney Pictures (The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe)
- New Zealand Carbon Farming - structuring, and general tax advice
- Britannia and Endeavour Superannuation Schemes - ongoing tax advice, including on utilising the new foreign investment zero-rated PIE regime
- Richmond Investment Management - tax structuring, and general tax advice on establishing the PIE-compliant Richmond Funds
- Westpac Banking Corporation - tax reassessments in respect of cross-border structured finance transactions entered into during 1998-2002 (together with similar claims against other banks, the most significant corporate tax dispute in New Zealand history)
- Dispute with Inland Revenue arising out of a tax-advantaged transaction involving the equitable assignment of a partnership interest
- Dispute with Inland Revenue concerning the deductibility of imputed interest under financial instruments