Environment, Planning & Resource Management
We have New Zealand's largest environment, planning, and resource management group, with significant expertise in all aspects of environmental law. This depth and breadth of expertise has led to our involvement in many of the country's leading resource management cases and most significant projects.
Our group has a strong focus on energy and infrastructure issues. We are key advisers to local government bodies. We assist many city, district, and regional councils with strategic advice and with resolving environmental disputes.
Our specialists also advise on local, regional, and national planning documents. Our environmental disputes experts regularly appear in appeals before councils, the Environment Court, and superior courts. Many of our experts are regarded as New Zealand's leading advocates in this area. They also appear before the courts on a variety of other proceedings, such as judicial review and declaration proceedings. They are often involved in Environment Court mediations.
We assist a wide range of industries to manage their environmental risks and responsibilities, including the mining, property development, transport, water and waste water, forestry, manufacturing, retail, and waste management sectors.
Examples of our work
- Auckland Council - advising on the legal review of the draft Auckland Unitary Plan, which once approved will be the first ever combined regional and district plan for Auckland
- Christchurch City Council – District Plan Review, which aims to deal with circumstances facing post-earthquake Christchurch and enable its effective recovery
- Watercare Services - numerous projects including:
- applications for an additional water take from the Waikato River (to secure Auckland's water supply needs until 2050)
- application for its comprehensive Auckland-wide wastewater network discharge consent
- its Water Supply and Wastewater Network Bylaw, which replaces eight 'legacy' bylaws
- Transpower North Island Grid Upgrade Project - an $824 million project to obtain approvals for a new 186 km overhead transmission line, underground cables, and substations, following call-in by the Minister for the Environment as a project of national significance
- Tauranga City Council - obtaining coastal, discharge, and land use consents for the Tauranga Southern Pipeline project, including a pipe crossing the Tauranga Harbour
- Queenstown Lakes District Council - advising on the proposed expansion of Queenstown airport, and advising the Council on its impending district plan review
- NZ Transport Agency - Christchurch Southern Motorway designation and resource consents
- Auckland City Council - advising on all aspects of the Wynyard Point Tank Farm redevelopment, including all District Plan appeals
- North Shore City Council (now Auckland Transport) - the multi-million dollar Bus Rapid Transport Project for the Northern Busway
- OMV NZ - obtaining marine consents in relation to exploration and development drilling in the South Taranaki Bight