Insolvency & Restructuring
Our insolvency and restructuring group is a recognised market leader, with extensive experience in all aspects of insolvency and restructuring work.
Our clients include banks and other financial institutions, large corporates, the leading accountancy firms and regulatory agencies.
We assist clients with all aspects of corporate stress and insolvency. This includes corporate recovery measures such as debt restructuring, work-outs, and arrangements and compromises with creditors. It also includes corporate reconstructions, distressed mergers and acquisitions, administrations, receiverships, investigations, voluntary administrations, statutory managements and liquidations.
Our recovery specialists assist with the enforcement of security (including by receiverships and mortgagee sales) and proceedings against guarantors.
We have experience in cross-border insolvencies, as well as in distressed debt trading and restructuring investment.
We act in proceedings against directors, fraudulent transfer claims, preference actions, and other insolvency-related litigation.
To ensure the best possible commercial outcome, we work closely with accounting and other professionals.
Examples of our work
- Solid Energy - financial restructuring package that included debt rescheduling, debt-for-equity swaps and Crown support, and sale of its mines
- TPG Capital - acquisition of MediaWorks' senior debt position, and restructuring of MediaWorks' debt
- McGrath + Nicol - liquidation of the HIH Insurance Group's New Zealand assets (part of Australasia's largest corporate collapse)
- Westpac - statutory management of Allan Hubbard and related entities, debt restructuring of the Allied Farmers Group, and receivership of Crafar Farms
- PwC - receivership of Strategic Finance and Lombard Finance & Investments
- KordaMentha and ASB Bank - receivership of Herbert Insurance Group and related entities
- KordaMentha - receivership of NZF Money and of Pacific Horizon trading entities
- BDO - receivership of Blacktop Construction
- Redknee Solutions Inc - voluntary administration, receivership, and liquidation of Argent Networks, including purchase of business
- Treasury and PwC - receivership of Terralink (the first, and to date only, receivership of a state-owned enterprise)