Karen is a partner in the firm's commercial group. She co-heads the firm's information and communications technology (ICT) group.
Karen has experience in a wide range of commercial matters, with a particular focus on working with users and suppliers in the technology sector on information technology and telecommunications matters. Her extensive experience in advising on large-scale, business critical ICT projects ranges from procurement strategy and RFP/RFI processes to negotiating and documenting such arrangements.
Karen's experience includes advising on the procurement of business critical IT systems and the outsourcing of IT services.
Karen has been involved in a number of telecommunications arrangements including network rollouts and advising on the invitation to participate issued for the Government's $1.5 billion ultra-fast broadband project.
- Chambers Asia-Pacific TMT 2015 - Recommended Lawyer
- Euromoney Australasian Women in Business Law Awards 2014 – Best in Technology, Media and Telecommunications
- The International Who's Who of Information Technology Lawyers 2014 - Leading Lawyer
- Expert Guides Information Technology and Telecommunications 2011 - Leading Lawyer
- Australian Legal Business Technology, Media & Telecommunications Guide - Leading Lawyer
Examples of Work
- Department of Corrections - contract for Serco to run Mt Eden/Auckland Central remand prison
- IT systems design, development, and implementation projects, including the replacement and subsequent upgrade of Inland Revenue's mainframe for all of its core systems, a replacement finance and retail system for Briscoe Group, and a mobile fleet freight tracking and management system for Toll Networks
- IT outsourcing and services arrangements, including the outsourcing of Inland Revenue's mainframe services, outsourcing by Westpac of its IT infrastructure services to IBM, Land Information New Zealand's outsourcing of IT services to Datacom, and IT services arrangements for PlaceMakers and for Toll Networks
- Telecommunications outsourcing and services arrangements, including Inland Revenue's telecommunications outsourcing to TelstraClear and the implementation of new telephony solutions and related services
- Telecommunications network arrangements, including supply and support of a national IP network, a microwave communications network and satellite services; the roll out of fibre optic cable and the granting of rights in relation to fibre optic cables; a proposed national 3GSM network rollout; and the provision of managed services
- Ministry of Economic Development - invitation for proposals to participate in the government's $1.5 billion Ultra-Fast Broadband Project to accelerate the deployment of ultra-fast broadband to New Zealanders over the next 10 years
- Te Māngai Pāho (the Māori broadcasting funding agency) - rollout and support of a national broadcasting contribution/distribution network enabling the sharing of broadcasts between Māori radio stations located throughout New Zealand
- Brookers' An Introduction to E-commerce Law in New Zealand - Co-author
- International Privacy Guide (West, Thomson Reuters) - Contributor