Padraig is a partner in the local government and environment group. He advises local government, public sector, and corporate clients on resource management, local government, administrative law, legislative and public policy issues. His particular areas of expertise include district plans, resource consenting, water and wastewater, financial contributions and development contributions, Local Government Act (including governance, decision-making, CCOs, delegations, charging, and bylaws), official information and meetings, and legislative drafting. Padraig has been deeply involved in many aspects of Auckland's recent local government reorganisation, and now advises Auckland Council and its CCOs.
An experienced litigator, Padraig regularly appears for clients in the High Court and the Environment Court. He has particular expertise in resource management appeals and defending council decisions from judicial review.
- Chambers Global Public Law 2013 - Leading Lawyer
Examples of Work
- Auckland Council - advice on mayoral powers, local board powers, the governing body/local boards relationship, information issues, bylaws, delegations, development contributions, spatial planning, and Maori Statutory Board
- Auckland Transition Agency - primary external legal advisor to the ATA on various legal, legislative and governance issues (including CCO accountability provisions, delegations, local boards, meetings, charging powers, and development contributions)
- North Shore City Council - successfully defending major plan change appeals in relation to the Long Bay Structure Plan and Bayswater marina
- Manukau Water - obtaining designation, land use, and discharge consents for the Kawakawa Bay waste water treatment scheme
- Auckland City Council, North Shore City Council, Rodney District Council, and Franklin District Council - primary legal adviser in relation to development contributions
- Auckland City Council and Tauranga City Council - judicial review proceedings challenging development contributions
- Auckland Regional Council and Waitakere City Council - legislative drafting and policy development for the Waitakere Ranges Heritage Area Act
- Westpac New Zealand - policy development and legislative drafting in relation to the Westpac New Zealand Act 2011
- Resource Management Law Association - Member
- Resource Management Law Association and New Zealand Planning Institute events - Regular presenter
- LGNZ, SOLGM, Conferenz and Lexis Nexis seminars - Regular presenter