Health & Aged Care
Demand for healthcare is ever-increasing, representing opportunities and challenges for the sector, including the increasing need for facilities and services to care for our ageing population. We have advised both public and private clients for many years.
Our national, multidisciplinary team combines legal expertise with a deep understanding of the changing regulatory environment and legal issues facing both the health sector generally and those specific to businesses operating in the aged care sector, essentially retirement village owners/operators and aged residential care providers.
Our sector knowledge enables us to advise on the full range of matters and issues including:
- corporate structuring and contractual arrangements
- mergers and acquisitions
- regulatory compliance
- privacy and data protection
- public policy
- technology procurement
- property and construction
- employment issues.
Within the aged care sector, we assist clients with key strategic issues. These include facility development, customer acquisition, compliance and staff management.
Examples of our work - health
- Health Benefits - general corporate and commercial advice including advising on national infrastructure procurement programme; services contracts and employment advice
- Northern region DHBs; Auckland, Waitemata and Counties-Manukau - drafting and advising on governing documentation for a shared services company
- Ormiston Hospital - corporate and commercial advice including joint venture with East Care
- Southern Cross Hospitals Ltd - general employment advice
- Pathology Associates - contracts for the provision of laboratory services with several DHB services in New Zealand and general advice
- Birthcare - health service provider contracts with various DHBs in respect of primary birthcare services
- Ascot Hospitals & Clinics - on its purchase of the business of the Adventist Hospital and the Mercy Hospital
- Union MedTech - acquisition of Rex Bionics, a developer of robotic exoskeletons for the disabled, and UK capital raising, moving its listing from the ISDX to the London Stock Exchange's AIM market
Examples of our work - aged care
- Private Health Care - $340 million takeover by Retirement Villages (NZ) of Metlifecare
- Sanderson Group - advising on sale of the Avenues to Metlifecare and various other sales processes
- Pacific Equity Partners' acquisition of Guardian Healthcare - advising the senior and mezzanine lenders on lending arrangements
- Acting for a large listed retirement village operator with respect to its construction work (claims/disputes/contracts)
- Acting for a large luxury retirement village operator on its global re-organisation; new investor advice; refinance of the group's Australian and New Zealand bank facilities and mezzanine finance; and construction funding for a boutique retirement village in Newmarket, Auckland
- Vision Senior Living Retirement Groups - advising on the refinancing of debt