Mergers & Acquisitions
Merger and acquisition activity always marks a significant point of change for an organisation, irrespective of the sector or transaction size. Demands and pressures are heightened, and the deal must be managed as effectively and efficiently as possible.
Recognising this we form specific deal teams which are responsive and accessible to meet the deal's requirements.
We have significant experience across all merger and acquisition types: public takeovers, private sales, contested bids, merger, and other business restructures. In addition to private sector work, we have advised on the corporatisation and privatisation of business divisions of central and local government.
Our deal teams include industry specialists relevant to the transaction and to the post-closing integration phase. A key focus is to help manage execution and residual risks. We work to do this and to ensure a transaction is documented and settled as effectively and quickly as possible.
Our specialists bring to a transaction broad international experience and a depth of expertise. Many of our team have worked in leading international law firms.
Simpson Grierson is consistently ranked as a leading New Zealand firm for M&A in the mergermarket and Thomson Reuters league tables.
Examples of our work
- Fairfax Financial Holdings - proposed $197 million takeover of NZX-listed Tower by way of scheme of arrangement
- Shanghai Maling Aquarius - purchase of a 50% interest in Silver Fern Farms
- New Zealand Oil & Gas - sale of its 15% interest in the Kupe gas, LPG and condensate fields to Genesis Energy
- Accident Compensation Corporation - acquisition of a 22% stake in the Kiwibank group of companies
- Mercantile Investment Company - full takeover of NZSX listed company, Wellington Merchants (previously Kirkcaldie & Stains)
- Warren Couillault - acquisition of Macquarie Private Wealth New Zealand, and associated securities distribution arrangements
- CHAMP Ventures - acquisition of a majority stake in Macpac
- Marlborough Lines Limited - acquisition of Yealands Wine Group Limited
- nib holdings - acquisitions of TOWER Medical Insurance and OnePath Life (NZ) Limited
- Graymont - acquisition of McDonalds Lime from Holcim and NZ Steel, and of Taylors Lime from Holcim
- Vocus Communications - takeover offer, by ASX-listed Vocus, to acquire FX Networks for approximately $115.8 million
- Fiji National Provident Fund - F$160 million acquisition by Fiji National Provident Fund of 49% of Vodafone Fiji
- Milford Asset Management - acquisition, alongside Bath Street Capital, of New Zealand Guardian Trust from ASX-listed Perpetual for $68.5 million
- Fidelity Life - acquisition of TOWER's $145 million life insurance portfolio
- Revera - disposal of IT infrastructure and data business to Telecom for $96.5 million
- Kordia New Zealand - sale of Orcon, New Zealand's fourth largest internet service provider
- Haier Group Corporation - takeover and subsequent compulsory acquisition of all of the shares (not already owned by Haier) in NZX and ASX listed Fisher & Paykel Appliances for approximately $750 million
- Matariki Forests Group (New Zealand's third largest forestry company) - $167 million investment in it by London-listed Phaunos Timber Fund
- Toll - sale of the national rail business to the Crown for $690 million